Friday, December 21, 2012

(32) The Noble Thing To Do

I rose to my feet and laid Elaine gently on the ground. Now was the time. All these people were counting on me. I couldn't let them down. "Bring me the balloons." I ordered, and after some minor fumbling, I had them in my hands. A long piece of string that stretched almost a mile was also placed in my possession. We were set.

The tabs on the balloons were pulled and they instantly inflated to their massive size. The balloons were identical, outfitted with nets beneath them to support the refugees weight. This was the tricky part of my plan, if this didn't work, then I had condemned everyone to dea... no, I couldn't think like that. I was the hero. It was my job, my duty to save them. They could not die, especially not my parents. I would not allow it.

I felt as though my plan, working like clockwork, was happening in slow motion. After ordering the citizens to file into one balloon, I laid my beloved in there too, giving my parents strict instructions to keep her safe. A copper curl danced across her face in the cool breeze. I leaned over, kissed her forehead, and whispered in her ear,

"I love you Elaine, and I will until I breathe my last breath."

I pulled back and, to the shock of the refugees, I flashed them a crooked grin, trying to hide my fear, as I shoved their balloon off, away from the main group of Beasts far below. Then, turning, I lept, coat flying behind me, onto the other balloon and floated toward the main group of Beasts prepared to do the noble thing.

I was resolved to not look back, but a familiar cry reached my ears and my head turned of its own accord...

1 comment: