Wednesday, July 18, 2012

(16) An Unexpected Wedding


The crowd cheered at the prospect of the sudden ceremony and formed two groups leaving an aisle between them. I was given an orange veil and a matching bouquet as my groom jogged to the end of the makeshift aisle. The music played what must have been a wedding march. I was forced to walk, slowly passing row after row of people. Each step was closer to my death than before. I was still five rows away when a loud sound of particles materializing distracted everyone’s attention. All eyes turned and looked behind me, my controller must have been taken by surprise because I was able to move on my own. I turned around slowly and ripped the veil out of my eyes.
“John!” I cried with my high, breathless voice. It was my John. Flying cool blue coat and all. He looked a little lost and started when I called his name. But as he looked at me he reached up and rubbed his earring.
“Elaine!!” he called. He sprinted to my side pulling me into his arms.
“Put me down!” I called in a panic. My controller was gaining her wits and forced my hands to grab John’s neck in a vice grip. The surprise on his eyes was like a knife in my heart. I was going to strangle him in a matter of moments. No, I loved him too much. I focused my thoughts on doing the one thing she didn’t have control of, flying. My body rose in the air, but I could not pull John up with me so my hands let go. 
“Her box John!’ I called as I floated in the air. He looked where I pointed. His ray gun flipped out of its holster quick as a flash and blasted a hole in the device. I was free. My corset released and my dress split both side seams. The shoes were the first thing I cast down on the fleeing crowd. I threw the gloves down too and landed beside John. He grabbed me and held me close. 
“NOOO!!” cried the imposter King as John strapped a teleport device on my wrist. He lunged at John in a rage. As John was programing my teleporter I grabbed his ray gun from his holster and shot the King in the heart. 
“That’s for stealing my first kiss!” I screamed, my freedom was giving me vent to my rage at being imprisoned. John looked at me stunned then pressed the buttons that sent our particles flying through time and space. We landed on Terrafima. The ground had never seemed so sweet as I collapsed on it. We were just outside one of the human bases. We were safe.

4 comments: